Thursday, April 1, 2010

Love and Logic: Leaving the Playground

Like most of us, I am always afraid my daughter is going to throw a huge fit when I tell her it is time to leave the playground. She has thrown this notorious fit a few times. However, when I use the Love and Logic 5 minute rule things go a lot smoother.

When I'm getting the itch to get moving I say, "Lauren, would you like to leave now or in 5 minutes?" This option allows me to share the control with my daughter. She knows she has to follow my rules, but she has a little say in them as well.  I prepare myself to always spend the extra 5 minutes playing because her answer always is 5 minutes.

I then keep talking with the other playdate mommy or continue to dig sand with my daughter for the next 5 minutes.

When 5 minutes is up I say, "Okay, 5 minutes is up, time to go." 

Her usual response is, "Okay mommy."  (Thank God.)

She has challenged me on this before, but I usually just take off. She comes screaming behind me, "No, mommy! Don't leave me!" This breaks my heart, but she catches up really quickly and this is an infrequent occurrence.

No comments: