Sunday, April 18, 2010

Love and Logic: Beginning the Use of L&L at an Early Age

My son is 9 months old, crawling and in to everything. So far he's tried the dog dish (he'll suck on those dog pellets until I notice), the outlets, the lamp cords, dirt, the dog's paws. There's nothing he doesn't explore. I realize that it is time to start setting the limits. When he goes for one of these things, I pick him up and say, "Uh oh." I then redirect him to another part of the room. If he keeps doing it I take him up to his crib and give him a 30 second time out. Then I walk into his room with a cheery face and take him back downstairs.

Is it working? Well, not always. He is still eating dog food and I am still redirecting him. However, he does acknowledge my "uh ohs". He smiles when I say uh oh and about 50% of the time he will stop what he is doing and redirect himself. I'll keep trying. He'll eventually figure it out.

No comments: