Sunday, March 28, 2010

Love and Logic: No Tantrum?

As a result of the approaching Spring, my daughter is discovering all the wonderful toys that have been hiding out in the garage all winter.  She came across the water balloons we purchased for her birthday party last year and instantly wanted to fill them with water. "Mom, can you fill the bubbles!??!!" After I finally figured out she was talking about the water balloons I decided to help her fill the balloons with water as long as she took them right outside.

The balloons were cheap and probably stressed from the winter months. I tried attaching one balloon to the faucet, but no luck, it ripped. I felt my muscles tense as I waited for my daughter's tantrum to erupt. Instead, she said, "Oh..."

Okay, one more balloon left. "Sorry honey, let me try this last balloon." It also ripped. Crap, both balloon ripped and there were none left.

I looked down at my daughter and apologized. "I'm so sorry honey, I ripped both balloons and there aren't any left."  Wait for it...wait for it.....

"Oh....that's okay mom, that's okay."

Really? It's times like these that inspire me to keep using empathy with my kids.

There are times when my daughter really lets go and throws a massive tantrum. I often wonder if that's a result of a behavior she has seen me do. I've lost my temper with my daughter before. Each time it happens I can only work changing my behavior into empathy instead of anger in the future and then wait for the inspirational moments where my daughter shows me empathy.

1 comment:

brooke doval said...

i just love reading your blog, Nicole! everything you talk about just makes sense...the way you teach Lauren about day-to-day happenings make me wonder, "why didn't i think of that?" keep it coming!