Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Love and Logic: Teaching Responsibility

Yesterday I was doing the dishes and a pan full of water slid out of the sink and the water fell on the floor. My 2 and 1/2 year old daughter was standing right next to me and watched as the water poured onto the floor. I was expecting her to stare at the water to see what would happen next, but no, that little lady right away said, "Ohhh....I can help you mom. Let me get a towel."  She had the whole floor cleaned up.

She gave me empathy and then took responsibility to help me. She knew it was my problem yet she took it upon herself to get the job done. It brought tears to my eyes as I watched her little body struggle to reach all corners of the puddle. It made me realize she has love and respect for me as a mom, she knows what it means to work hard, she knows that it feels good to help others, and she knows not to make a big deal out of accidents, instead problem solve to correct it.

I love this Love and Logic stuff!

1 comment:

Chris Peterson said...

That is an awesome feeling that I wish all parents could feel. Too often we don't let kids demonstrate household citizenship at a young age.