Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Washing Hands

We have three rules for hand washing.
  1. We wash hands when we walk in the house from an outing. 
  2. We wash hands after going to the bathroom.
  3. We wash hands before eating or cooking. 
I use Love and Logic's enforceable statements.
  • Lauren, you are welcome to join us at the table after you wash your hands. 
  • Lauren, you are welcome to leave the bathroom after you wash your hands. 
  • Lauren, you are welcome to help me bake cookies once your hands are washed. 
I give her options.
  • Lauren, would you like to wash your hands at the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink? 
I also get her to use her brain.
  • Sometimes she wants to use the kitchen sink, but she can't reach the kitchen sink. I ask her what can she do about that. She thinks to herself and then grabs her stool.
  • A couple of times I've heard her yell from the bathroom, "Too hot!" We talked about how the handle on the sink makes the water hot. I ask her to see if she could make the water cold. It took her a bit, but she figured it out. 
Got any Love and Logic ideas to share?? Let's hear um!

No comments: