Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Love and Logic: Learning Life Lessons Through Experience

I mentioned before that one of Lauren's chores is to put away the clean silverware and kitchen utensils. She learns a lot from doing this including the names for a whisk, spatula, and measuring spoon.

Today she came across an apple peeler. And I came across her sticking it in her mouth and licking it all over the blade. Hmmm....

I realized I had just come across a Love and Logic learning session.  I didn't jump on her for fear of her tongue being sliced in half. Instead, I gave her my empathetic look and asked her questions, "Honey, it looks like there are a couple of things wrong with this picture. Can you tell me what they are?"

It took her a bit, but she removed the apple peeler from that precious tongue and began her normal toddler stream of consciousness. "It's sharp..I get owwie...my tongue get cut...then I go to the doctor."

We also have talked about whether the silverware are clean or dirty after we have licked them up and down. I asked, "Is the apple peeler clean or dirty?"

"Dirty.", she said.

"And what do you do with dirty utensils?", I asked.

"Put them in the sink.", she said. I gave her a wink and then left to write this post.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that two months ago we were in the ER with my daughter because she had bit her tongue and left a 1/2" hole. The hole healed, but the memory is still there. 

1 comment:

brooke doval said...

sounds like lauren is absorbing everything you teach her! that's great! i'll have to try this with eliza - she loves doing dishes!