Sunday, January 24, 2010

Nap time and Bed time

My daughter started to refuse naps. However around 5pm, she was yawning and cranky. Here is what I did and it has been working for a couple of weeks. I announce to my daughter that it's nap time. Then we set a timer together for 20 minutes. The timer I have allows you to pick the sound that rings when the timer is up. My daughter picks the sound. Then before she presses "start", we review what needs to happen in the 20 minutes before bed. I ask her, "What do you need to do before you take a nap?" I have worked with her so that she now responds, "Brush teeth, go potty, put on jammies, read books." She likes to put on jammies for nap. Then she hits the timer and we both run upstairs to get ready for nap.

She sometimes dawdles, but I ask her what will happen if she spends all of her time going potty or brushing teeth. We work together to figure out that she won't have time for books. By the time she has finished brushing teeth, going potty and putting on jammies we usually have about 10 minutes left. Then she picks out her books and jumps in bed.

When the timer goes off, I have her shut off the timer, tuck her in and kiss her nigh nigh. I then ask if she wants the light on or off and the door open or closed. She usually picks light on and door open. I then ask what will happen if she gets out of bed and she responds, "Door goes shut."

Now at this time I leave the room. Sometimes she does get out of bed and which point the door goes shut. However, when the door goes shut she can play alone as long as she is quiet. Usually about an hour after solo play I go up to her room and find her tucked under her covers fast asleep. :)

1 comment:

brooke said...

wow, nicole. you know how much trouble we are having with eliza at night. this may help...with the lights on! i'll have to try this method out. i'm sure it'll take time with her.