Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chores for a Toddler

I am trying to give my two year old daughter some responsibilities around the house for the main purpose of giving her a sense of purpose and value in the family. She does focus a lot of being a big girl (so that she can ride her big girl bike and go to school, she says) so she welcomes the tasks that I give her, as long as they are on her time.

Her daily task is to put away the silverware after they are cleaned in the dishwasher. I ask her whether she wants to put the silverware away now or in 5 minutes. She has never said now. To make sure I stay true to 5 minutes, I set the kitchen timer as I continue to put away the rest of the dishes. Then when the 5 minute timer rings, I ask if she wants to use her Learning Tower or a chair to reach the silverware drawer. One day she decided to use a chair and fell. Now when I give her the choice she tells me she needs to use her Learning Tower because a chair is dangerous. After she puts away the silverware, she returns the silverware basket to the dishwasher and closes the dishwasher. Then she exclaims, "Momma! I did it!"  .

No comments: